Meet our Vascular Specialist
Who is Dr Roger Bell?
Dr Roger Bell is a Vascular and Transplantation Surgeon with over 30 years’ specialist experience. Upon obtaining his undergraduate degree from the University of WA in 1979, he received his General Surgical Fellowship from the Australasian College of Surgeons in 1988.
His specialist expertise in Vascular Surgery and Transplantation Surgery was refined by fellowships at the National Liver Transplant Unit in Sydney, and the Vascular Unit at St Thomas’ Hospital in London. With that training Dr Bell was equipped to take on the role of head of Vascular Surgery at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, and together with his mentor Prof Tony House, helped establish and progress the Liver Transplant Programme in Western Australia.
During his time as a Senior Lecturer at the University of WA, he published and lectured widely in the fields of vascular surgery and liver transplantation. He also played a pivotal role in teaching and mentoring many aspiring young surgeons.
In 2000, Dr Bell relocated to Melbourne to become a Vascular/Transplantation Surgeon at one of Melbourne’s leading Teaching Hospitals, Monash Medical Centre, where he is currently an integral part of the Vascular and Transplant team.
His interest in treating patients with hyperhidrosis and facial blushing dates back to his time in WA, with the advent of laparoscopic surgery. With the move to Melbourne, his interest in this field intensified, and he is now the foremost surgeon in Australia in this field.
Dr Roger Bell’s treatment options
At Northwestern Vascular, we provide a comprehensive vascular service treating the entire range of vascular conditions using both open and endovascular techniques.
Venous disorders include:
- Varicose Vein treated by Endovenous Laser, Surgical excision of varicose veins or Ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy
- Spider veins and telangiectases treated by sclerotherapy and Cutera Laser
- Treatment of leg swelling due to venous insufficiency of lymphoedema
- Treatment of deep venous thrombosis
Arterial disorders include:
- Peripheral Vascular Disease treated with open or endovascular techniques
- Aortic aneurysms treated by endoluminal grafting
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Claudication in elite athletes
- Less common arterial disorders such as renal artery stenosis, mesenteric ischaemia
Hyperhidrosis and facial blushing treatment:
- Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy for hand (palmar) hyperhidrosis or facial blushing
- Lumbar Sympathectomy for foot (plantar) hyperhidrosis
- MiraDry for armpit (axillary) hyperhidrosis and/or odour
Dr Roger Bell’s special interests
Whilst Dr Bell continues to provide a comprehensive vascular service utilizing open and endovascular techniques, he has a particular interest in managing hyperhidrosis and facial blushing. As a result, he has become Australia’s leading endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS) surgeon, having performed more than 1200 procedures with outstanding results.